Friday 1 April 2011

Triumphant return/Elements of Game Technology, part two: sound for games

Oh yes, it’s time for another comeback. I’m sure there will be parties in the streets of Paris tonight with the news of the return of my blog. So why the gap the posts I hear you cry? The group project to make a resident evil style level of the Queens building on campus, has taken over mine and everyone else in my years life for the last couple of months. With it now almost finished with only a fly-through and minor tweaks needed I can now catch up on these blog tasks and the few visual design tasks I have remaining.

I’ll post some of the stuff I’ve done for the group project in due course but until then… blogs away!

Music has a massive effect on us human beings. It has the power to make someone breakdown in tears one minute and make someone in sweaty room to appear to have a minor seizure the other. It’s an art that has been at the frontline of culture for hundreds of years and has evolved and spread with the world. The power it can have on a piece of film or video game can immortalise a scene in person’s brain for a life time. A perfect example of this is Steeler’s wheel – stuck in the middle with you. Myself and many people when hearing this song will automatically think of Michael Madsen dancing backwards and forward with a razor blade. This idea can be transferred into video games as the wall between film and video games crumbles.

When thinking of Grand theft auto: vice city I immediately think of the radio stations and the music used. The choice of music cemented you as the player in the 80’s era and also gave a lot of people’s careers a pick up 20 years later. In streets of rage 2 the music arguably made the game. With visual technology being nowhere near where we are at the moment, audio had an even more important role in video games than at present. Apart from the two games mentioned above games that I’m attached to musically include Street fighter 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pro- evolution soccer series, Gran Turismo 3 and actually Madden NFL games but this is only for the work of Sam Spence.

Now I’d just say I consider myself very musically diverse. I was brought up listening to Mo-town and proper R’n’B from my mother, and Disco and dance music with my Dad. I also have to older brothers who at the time enjoyed the work of 9 inch nails, nirvana, Silverchair and Slipknot to name a few. I myself enjoy and respect all of these genres that the above bands’ music conforms to. I do love my funk/disco and dance music the most. I’m actually a fan of Chic and the bands of the time; however saying that ‘Good times’ is the most influential piece of music of the 20th century uneases me . I think in every era of music that has been generated over the 20th century there have been pioneers. This also applies to the arts, one movement of artists inspire another etc. etc. If the people who have voted for the ‘Good times’ believe it’s the most influential then that’s their choice, however I think ‘Everybody dance’ is a better song.

I’ll be churning out more blogs in the next couple of weeks if anyone wanted to know.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQr_oCmQGuw

No comments:

Post a Comment